We said we weren’t doing gifts for our anniversary this year, but I still wanted to do something inexpensive, simple, yet meaningful. After looking around on Pinterest, I knew I wanted to do something with our “Importand Dates.” I stumbled upon this tutorial, which walked me through most of the process—BUT it seems that the website has changed a bit, so I’m going to detail how I did mine as well. It turned out so cute!
- Go to picmonkey.com
- Click “Collage” and upload a photo (can be anything, it just gets you to the template…you won’t use it).
- Delete the two smaller boxes on the right by hitting “x” in the upper-right hand corner of each.
- Go to “Swatches” in the left-hand column…it is the 3rd one down and resembles 3 tickets.
- Pick a background. Drag & drop your desired background into the large square. Make sure you don’t choose a pattern that’s too busy! (The chevron pattern I used is under the “Winterland” tab at the top).
- Save the background as a jpeg to your desktop, and exit the program by hitting “x” in the upper right hand corner. You will be back at the main screen.
- Now click the “Edit” tab, and upload the background you just completed.
- On the bottom left, hit “Resize” and change dimensions to “1440 x 1800” for a portrait orientation (uncheck both boxes beneath the dimensions). This will allow you to print up to an 8×10.
- Next, click the “Tt” button on the left to add text. For my text, I used one text box per date & event. You can still change the size and font for each line by highlighting. ((I used the fonts “Special Elite” for dates, and “Amatic Small Caps” for the events and/or names. Sizes 150/140 respectively.)) I chose a dark gray for font color (color code 504A4B), and spaced as evenly as I could.
- To add hearts, click the Butterfly Icon at the left, they can be found under “General>Hearts.” I used the fade tool to 82%, but you can have it as visible or transparent as you choose. Some other ideas might be to add a banner, which can be found under “Scrapbooky>Banner” tab of the same Butterfly icon.
- Save and you’re done! Just have fun with it and be creative!
I’m no expert, but feel free to ask any questions. It got a lot easier the more I played around! =) I printed it at Walgreens (one 5×7 for less than $2!), bought a simple frame, and it turned out awesome! For less than $10 you can’t go wrong. The possibilities are endless!
P.S. I obviously changed our kid’s names/dates. Don’t want any weirdos stealing their identities! Those were our back-up kid names. ;)