obsessively Googling a lot of research, I finally got some Hunter Wellington Boots (for Christmas)! I love them. They’re amazing. Not particularly warm for winter (even with the special socks), but they’re still perfect for running errands, letting the dogs out, etc in the snow…and they’re more durable than my Uggs! And in the rain, they’re unbeatable. That said, there are just a few things to know before buying:
- Try them on first in-person! But if you’re not able to, in my personal experience they run large. I’m usually a 10/10.5 and I got a 9…they fit perfectly.
- “Original” is a matte finish, “Original Gloss” is glossy.
- There is a difference between “Hunters Original” and “Huntress” boots. Huntress is a wide-calf boot for ladies with a calf larger than 15″, or who like to wear layered socks. I went with the Huntress (pictured below).
- The Original Hunter are 2 inch taller than the Huntress…so if you’re really short, I’d go with the Huntress, the Original Short, or even try the kids sizes (for half the price!), otherwise I’ve heard it can chafe the back of your knees.
- There are not special socks for Huntress…if you order Hunter Welly Socks, they are a little bit taller than the Huntress boot because they’re meant for the Hunter Originals. I just tucked mine in, it worked fine. On that note, the Welly Socks have awkward seams on the feet. It feels a little weird when you’re first wearing them, but you get used to it.
- The tread is not ideal for ice (personal experience—ouch!).
- They are heavy on your feet. Very heavy. When I wear my brown riding boots (they’re the Franco Sarto “Poet”) after wearing the Hunters for awhile, I feel like I’m walking on air!
- Green is the “classic” color, but there are tons of fun color options available now. I got the bright red (pictured). I originally got the “Merlot” color, but it was a hideous purpleish-brown…not cranberry like I thought they’d be. I don’t recommend that color, but hey, to each her own.
I’ve personally used Zappos with great success buying online. From personal experience, the free 2-way shipping and easy exchanges are definitely worth it (had to mess with sizing). They are also available at Nordstrom, Macy’s, etc. This is a pic of me in my red Huntress boots. You can tell they’re a little shorter than the Originals (for your reference, I’m 5’8″).
This photo is embarrassing for 3 reasons: 1) I don’t have a full-length mirror so I am standing on the toilet in my daughter’s bathroom (ha!), 2) My bathroom is dirty, and 3) Yes, that is my 4 year-old folding washcloths in the bottom-left corner…I make her do chores whilst I take pictures of myself. #Momshaming anyone? ;)
UPDATE: Check out my new post, Tips for Buying Hunter Boots! I’ve compiled a list of helpful tips from all your wonderful comments & reviews…thanks for all the input.
***And I’m super slow and I just got Instagram. Follow me at “nik.vee” =)